Tuesday, September 25, 2007

LIONS, TIGERS and MAX, Oh My! (and an orangutan)

Since we had an unexpected "extra" day in Houston due to surgery being postponed, we decided to take Max to the Houston Zoo. It was nice to have a little down time, but I have to be honest...delaying the inevitable has been pretty hard for us. Even so, Max had such a great time today laughing and playing, and the animals were exceptionally active (Thank You Lord!).

To be perfectly transparent, seeing him enjoy himself as much as he did made me want to get on a plane tonight and bring him home. Courtney and I both feel like we are betraying him, because he has no clue why we are really here (I KNOW IT'S AN IRRATIONAL THOUGHT BUT IT'S THERAPY FOR ME TO WRITE IT!). The desire to put myself on the operating table instead of my baby is so strong as I write this sentence. When we release him to the anesthesiologist tomorrow morning, I can only imagine the enormity of that desire!

Once again, Max is teaching me a lesson I'd rather not learn at the moment. Max does not belong to me. God's purpose for Max is much higher than mine! A testimony is being built in this child's life that surpasses anything I could ever create, manipulate or control!!! Does this change how I feel at the moment! NO. Will this simple truth impact my life forever? YES!

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” ISAIAH 55:9

Max and I just finished a great talk before he went to sleep. He can't stop talking about all the animals he saw today. So, enjoy some of Max’s favorite pictures from the zoo…they were hand-picked by him.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys - we are praying for you, the doctors and Max. We will check back tomorrow for updates! Love, Crull, Ashley, Jack, Kate and Riley

Anonymous said...

Lions, Tigers, Max and Carl's expressions bring many tears... oh me, oh my! I am feeling your parental & your parent's grandparent pain. It isn't good!

You're right... it does feel better to write it.

We love you all and are praying fervently. Embrace God's peace and know He sees each tear that falls. Let the truth of scripture and the many songs we sing fill your mind with His goodness.

Erin said...

We are praying now and will continue to without ceasing.
Joyfully,
Chad & Erin

Chad and Melany said...

Max,

Sure looks like you had a great time at the zoo yesterday. You have a big day ahead of you. We want you to know we will be praying for you all day long today. Remember this promise:
"For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the whole earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him." 2 Chronicles 16:9. God is watching you during your surgery and holding you in the palm of His steady hand.

Josh and Rebecca sure do miss you! We can't wait until you get home!!!

We LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!

Love, Miss Melany

Anonymous said...

I am praying and will continue to do so as the day goes forward. I am praying that God's peace will overwhelm all of you even now. We love you guys...

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. Thanks for your strength.

Love and Prayers,
Terry, Trish, Zach and Kealy Smith
TBC

Anonymous said...

praying for sweet max as well as the physician who is operating on him.

krmorris said...

Courtney, Carl, MAX, & family -

You've been in my thoughts and prayers constantly these past few days. I have added Dr. Fraser specifically to my prayers.

Thank you for keeping us updated through this blog. I sent it to mom in B'haven.

Stay strong!
KRM

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you.
Ted and Donna